It is recommended that you use Microsoft's free Microsoft Outlook app to access your Davidson email on your Android smartphone or tablet. Whereas the native Android mail app will work with Davidson's mail system, our experience suggests that the Microsoft Outlook app does a better job of synchronizing Outlook calendars across multiple devices and multiple platforms. The installation steps for the Microsoft Outlook app are presented below.
Install and configure the Microsoft Outlook app
- Connect to the Google Play Store through wi-fi or your cellular connection. If you are on-campus, you should be connected through eduroam.
- Search for the free Microsoft Outlook app.
- Once you find it in the search results, tap the INSTALL button.
- After installation, tap the OPEN button to launch the app.
- Tap the Get Started button.
- On the Add Account screen, type in your full Davidson email address and tap the CONTINUE> button.
- On the Davidson Work or school account screen, type in your Davidson password and tap the Sign in button.
- On the Would you like to add another account? screen, tap on the Skip button.
- You can choose to review the tutorial screens or you can tap Skip in the lower left corner.
- Tap Turn On if you would like to be notified of incoming emails or calendar invitations or tap No Thanks to suppress these notifications.
- Tap Allow to allow Outlook to access your contacts or Don't Allow to block this access.
- At this point, the setup is complete and you should see messages in your Outlook inbox.
The Focused Inbox and Organize By Thread Options
Both the Focused Inbox and Organize By Thread options are turned on by default during the Microsoft Outlook installation. To turn off either option, use the following steps:
- While viewing your Outlook Inbox, on the menu button in the top right
- Then tap on the Settings icon in the bottom right corner.
- Slowly scroll down through the settings and you will find the Focused Inbox option. To turn off the Focused Inbox option, flip the switch from On to Off .
- Just below the Focused Inbox option, you will see the Organize By Thread option. To turn off the Organize By Thread option, flip the switch from On to Off .