- Using your normal web browser, open Moodle and log in. Open the course entitled LockDown Browser Prep. If you are not enrolled in this course, please email the Support Center at email@example.com with a subject line of LockDown Browser.
- Click on the quiz entitled LockDown Browser Prep Quiz. The following message will be displayed:
The above image is a screenshot and, as such, will not download the installer. You must click on the actual link from within Moodle.
- From within your browser, click on the word “here” to download the installer for the Respondus LockDown Browser.
- On the next screen, click on the Install Now button.
- Once the installation file has been downloaded, click on the Finish button and close all browser windows (including Moodle).
Depending on your operating system (macOS, Windows, etc.) and your default browser (Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.), the process of downloading and installing the LockDown Browser will differ. You might need to download the installation file first and then install it second, or it might be an integrated process.
If you have problems installing this application, please email the Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of LockDown Browser.
Launching the LockDown Browser application
- Close all open browser windows on your laptop. In other words, close Google Chrome, close Firefox, close Safari, close whatever you have open. In fact, it will simplify things if you close everything!
- Launch the LockDown Browser application, as described below:
In macOS, click on the Spotlight search (upper right corner) and type lockdown You should see the LockDown Browser listed in the search results. Alternatively, go into your Applications folder and click on the LockDown Browser application.
In Windows, click on the Start button and search for lockdown The specific name of the application is LockDown Browser
- Once the LockDown Browser is launched, one of two things will happen. Either the LockDown Browser will prompt you to close any open applications on your computer (Microsoft Outlook, Java, other browsers, etc.), or the browser will open and take you directly to Davidson’s Moodle login screen. If the message provides specific instructions, please follow them.
- Log into Moodle with your Davidson credentials.
The “Prep” Exam
Now that you have logged into Moodle via the LockDown Browser, you can proceed to the “Prep” exam. This is a practice exam that will allow you to confirm that everything is working properly prior to your actual exam.
- Open the course entitled LockDown Browser Prep.
- Once you open the course, click on the LockDown Browser Prep Quiz link.
Before you start the quiz, you should resize the quiz window to make it as large as possible. Once the quiz starts, you will not be able to resize the window.
- On the Respondus LockDown Browser dialog box, click on the Attempt quiz now button.
- On the Confirmation dialog box, click on the Start attempt button.
- The “Prep” quiz has two sample essay questions. On the first essay question, type in some sample text and click on the Next button in the lower left corner.
- On the second essay question, type in some sample text and click on the Next button in the lower left corner.
- At this point, you have completed all the questions. You can return to any of your earlier questions by selecting the question in the upper right corner. To return to the first question, click on the box with the number “1” displayed. To return to the second question, click on the number “2.”
- When you are ready to submit your final responses, click Next until you reach the end of the exam.
- Click on the Submit all and finish button.
- On the subsequent Confirmation dialog box, click on the Submit all and finish button.
- If you are using a Mac laptop, close the LockDown Browser application by clicking on the red circle in the upper left corner of your screen. If you are using a Windows laptop, close the LockDown Browser application by clicking on the red X in the upper right corner.
If you have any issues installing the LockDown Browser on your personal laptop, please email the Support Center at email@example.com with a subject line of LockDown Browser.
You can also bring your laptop to the T&I Main building (next to the Campus Store on Main Street) and one of our staff will be happy to help you with the installation.