On Mac computers, the upgrade process from Outlook 2011 to Outlook 2016 is not always smooth. Microsoft claims that you are given the option to automatically import data from Outlook 2011 during the installation but this does not seem to be the case. The steps below explain the manual process required to import your Outlook 2011 files and folders.
Import Your Outlook 2011 Folders and Files Into Outlook 2016
The process outlined below consistently takes more than an hour and sometimes takes several hours depending on the amount of email you store in your Outlook 2011 account. Please choose a time when you can leave your computer for an extended period of time.
- Open the Applications folder on your Mac.
- Right-click/secondary-click on the Microsoft Outlook application (or hold down the control key and left-click).
- On the resulting pop-up menu, select Show package contents.
- Within the Outlook package contents, double-click on the SharedSupport folder.
- Within the SharedSupport folder, double-click on Outlook Profile Manager.
- On the Outlook Profile Manager dialog box.
- Click the + icon to add a new profile.
- Type in a new name for the profile. As a default, you might want to use your Davidson username.
- Once you have created a new profile name, make sure it is selected in the list of profiles.
- With the new profile selected, click on the tiny gear icon (the "Options" button), and select Set as Default.
- Close all open dialog boxes.
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- ***IMPORTANT*** Do not enter your credentials on the subsequent "log in" dialog box. Instead, simply close it.
- Once you are in Outlook using your new profile, select File > Import from the main menu.
- Select the Outlook 2011 data on this computer radio button.
- Click on the Continue button.
- Be very patient!