Our local file servers, Louise and Susan, are being retired on January 22, 2018 and the data from them will move to a new location. All file addresses (paths) and server mapping that refer to "Louise" and "Susan" need to be updated to "davidson.edu." Additionally, access to Public on Louise (P: drive) will end on January 22, 2018.
- The local servers named Louise and Susan, home to numerous departmental files, are migrating to new servers and will no longer be known by those names. Where you once typed "Louise" or "Susan" to access files, you will now type "davidson.edu."
- Additionally, the P: drive or Public on Louise is being decommissioned. It will no longer be accessible after the change.
Instructions for Louise Users - Windows
- For Davidson-owned computers this change will be made automatically. Beginning January 5, 2018, the new name for the server, davidson.edu, and the new address will be visible in Windows File Explorer when viewing “Computer” (Windows 7) or “This PC” (Windows 10). Any mapped drives should work as before.
If your drives are still mapped to Louise, please use the following steps to address the issue:
1. Open Windows File Explorer.
2. Navigate to “Computer” (Windows 7) or “This PC” (Windows 10).
3. Right-click on each drive still mapped to Louise and select Disconnect.
4. Reboot your computer and the davidson.edu drives should appear.
- Public (P: drive) Users - Permanently inaccessible effective January 22. See below for more details.
Instructions for Louise Users - Mac
- Mac Users - You will need to change the way you manually access Louise: Access drives on davidson.edu servers
Instructions for Susan Users
- All users of Susan must take manual steps to access their file shares that were originally on Susan. Instructions for these manual updates can be found at the ITS Support Center at its.davidson.edu in the following articles:
Windows users - Access the Susan server in Windows
Mac users - Access drives on davidson.edu servers
Final Retirement of P: drive (Public)
- As part of this change, please note that the P: drive (Public on Louise) will no longer be accessible after the transition on January 22, 2018. If you still have files and data on the P: drive that you need to keep, please remove them before that date. Documents and files that are shared should be moved to the appropriate folders in Dropbox.
File Paths in Databases, Spreadsheets, and Other Resources
- If your department stores data on Susan or Louise for any of your business processes, make sure you update paths and make sure these updates are complete before January 22, 2018. If you have an Access database that references another Access database existing on Louise or Susan, you will need to update the referenced database’s location.