T&I is replacing Dropbox with Google Drive, as Davidson’s primary cloud storage and file sharing solution. We have already begun to migrate our early adopters’ group. The second group and final phase is scheduled to begin in July, 2021. We will continue to provide updates as the project moves forward. Check out our Dropbox to Google Drive Migration Project article for the most up-to-date information.
The file requests feature in Dropbox is an easy and effective alternative to collect proposals, applications, assignments, and other files. Files are dropped into a designated folder that only you can see.
Set up a Dropbox File Request
- Open a browser and log into your Davidson College Dropbox account. (http://www.dropbox.com)
- In the frame along the left edge of the screen, select Files.
- On the left frame, select File requests.
- Click on the Request files button.
- Complete the form, noting the options for adding a deadline and late submission options.
- Click on the Next button.
- Send the information to your students in one of a variety of ways:
- Copy the link and send to your class distribution list in Outlook;
- Add a URL link in Moodle;
- Add individual user emails in the space provided; or,
- Add a class group email address. For example, you can use ENG101A_201802@davidson.edu to send an email to all students enrolled in the A section of English 101 for the spring semester in 2019.
- Click on the Done button.
- You will now see the folder you just created in the list of active File requests. You can create additional file requests as needed.
Two important notes...
- Only you will be able to view files submitted using the File requests feature, unless you choose to share the folder manually after it has been created.
- If submissions will include video and audio files, please note the maximum size of a single file submission is capped at 20 GB.