Google Drive replaced Dropbox as Davidson’s primary cloud storage and file sharing solution on December 13, 2021. All files and folders from Davidson-owned personal and departmental Dropbox folders have now been migrated to Google Drive. For more information, visit the project support page.
As part of our migration from Dropbox to Google Drive, T&I may have provided you with a link sharing report to help you manage your file sharing after the migration is complete. You can use this report to identify files that require re-sharing once the migration is complete.
What details are included in this report?
Your link sharing report contains several data points but you can limit your focus to the URL, which provides a link to the shared file itself, and to the visibility tag, which indicates how the files were shared in Dropbox. You may see one or more of the below visibility tags in your report:
- Team Only -anyone with a Davidson College account has access (internal only)
- Shared Folder Only - shared with specific users (internal and external)
- Password - accessible to anyone who has the password.
- Public - anyone with the link has access (internal or external)
What do I do with the information in this report?
Before we can answer that, you need to know that there are two types of sharing in Dropbox:
- Direct Share - This is when you select/name users directly to share the file or folder with. You can do a Direct Share to internal users (those with a Davidson.edu email address) or to external users. An individual file or folder can be shared with both internal and external users. Individuals listed will continue to have access to these files after the migration.
- Link Share - This is when you create a link to a file or folder and then share that link either by sending it to people or posting it somewhere (e.g. a website or a document). Shared links will not persist in Google Drive once the migration is complete.
What action do I need to take now?
- Review all links listed in the report.
- Identify only those that need to be re-shared once the migration is complete. You can simply highlight them on your report, or create your own checklist.
How can I review linked file settings in Dropbox?
Link settings for files and folders can be viewed in Dropbox by clicking Shared (left menu), then links (top menu), click the three dots next to the file or folder, and choose link settings.
Choose Link settings
View details for both editing and viewing
What about the files I shared with users directly?
Sharing will persist for any files shared directly with Davidson College users (anyone with an active @davidson.edu account) and external users after the migration is complete. If you directly shared a file, you will see the name of the individual in the Dropbox shared settings (see example below) and those individuals will continue to have access after the migration.
Learn more about the Dropbox to Google Drive Migration Project