Install the VLC Media Player in Windows
- Open a web browser and navigate to:
- Click on the orange Download VLC button and select a location where you want the installation file to land. Typically, the default location is set to the Downloads folder.
- Once the installation file has downloaded, double-click on the file to launch the installation.
- When the "Do you want this allow this app to make changes to your device?" window pops up, select Yes.
- Keep defaults and click Next until done.
Change the Windows Default Player For .MP4 Files
- Type "default" into the Windows search box in the bottom left of your screen.
- Click Default apps from the search results.
- Click Choose default apps by file type.
- Scroll down to .mp4 and click Windows Media Player.
- In the pop-up, choose VLC media player.