Scheduling meetings and appointments using your Outlook calendar can help eliminate the frustrating back and forth associated with coordinating availability. The scheduling assistant shows your overlapping free times in order to quickly decide on an appropriate meeting.
Via Web Browser
Below are the steps to use the Scheduling Assistant for Outlook in a web browser. This widget is most effective when you first fill in the times you are busy (i.e. entering times you are in class/meetings).
- Log into your Office 365 account.
- Click on the calendar icon on the bottom left of the window.
- Click New event near the top left of the window.
- Click Scheduling Assistant.
- Click Add required attendee and start entering a person's name. Click their name when they show up in the list of suggestions. Repeat as necessary.
- If necessary, click Add optional attendee and start entering a person's name. Click their name when they show up in the list of suggestions. Repeat as necessary.
- Now that all of your attendees are added to the event, you can see their availability. Click a block of time that looks free for everyone. You can lengthen the meeting by using the drop-down menus at the top or by resizing the block of time in the calendar view.
- Click Done.
Via Outlook Desktop App
Follow these steps to use the Scheduling Assistant on your Desktop Application. This widget is most effective when you first fill in the times you are busy (i.e. entering times you are in class/meetings).
- Open Outlook.
- Open the Calendar section. This can be found on the bottom left corner.
- Select Meeting in the top left corner.
- Enter meeting details (to, subject, location, duration, times, and a message). You can customize your meeting by setting alerts and response requests.
- Select Scheduling in the top left corner. The Scheduling Assistant will show blank spaces when invitees have availability. The widget works best if you select times when the most amount of people are available.
- Click Send when you are ready to share the meeting invitation. The invitees will be notified by email and depending on your settings, the invitees will need to respond to the invite.