Enroll in the Duo two-factor authentication program
To start, choose which device you will use for "two factor" authentication. Most Davidson employees choose to use a smartphone although a few opt for a security token provided by T&I. If you choose to use your smartphone, please note that you must have the passcode enabled as it is required by Duo.
Several things to note:
- If you can't or don't wish to enroll your smartphone, T&I can give you a hardware token to use
- You will need to have this device on you at all times to log into protected sites
- That said, if you ever forget your device, you can call T&I to get a temporary passcode that will work for 24 hours.
- If you are traveling and do not have access to data or WIFI, the app will still work (ask about the "Enter a passcode" option)
- On your smartphone, download the free Duo Mobile app from the App Store (iPhones and iPads) or the Google Play Store (Android).
During the Duo Mobile installation, you will be asked if you would like to allow Duo Mobile to send you notifications. Please say "Yes" even if you normally suppress notifications.
- With the Duo app installed, your next step is to email the T&I Support Center (email@example.com) so we can enroll you in the Duo program. Please supply us with the following information:
- Your name and email address
- Type of smartphone you have (iPhone or Android)
- Phone number associated with the device
- Your status (faculty or staff)
- When you have been set up in the Duo system, you will receive two texts. The first you can ignore because you already installed the Duo Mobile app. Please click on the second text which will activate your account on your smartphone. You will know if you are successful when you open the Duo Mobile app and see Davidson College listed.
Testing the Duo two-factor setup
- Open a browser and head to a site that will force you to log in via the Davidson SSO process (the login page with the photo of Chambers). For example, you can try www.dropbox.com/login (If you are already logged in, you can click on the photo/avatar icon in the upper right corner and select Sign out from the drop-down menu.
- On the Dropbox login page, type in your full Davidson email address and click on the Continue button.