macOS 10.14, also known as Mojave, was released in the fall of 2018. As of April 2019 (10.14.4), Mojave is our recommended operating system for new and upgraded Macs on campus. Computers using 10.12 (Sierra) will have to upgrade to 10.14 by fall of 2019.
As always, before you perform major maintenance on your computer, check to make sure your CrashPlan backup is running and has recently completed. The installation may take up to an hour, depending on your computer. Once it has started it will mostly run on its own; in some cases, there may be a login prompt before the process can entirely complete.
You may install Mojave manually from the App Store, or (if you are on campus or using VPN) you can use Self Service:
- Save all work and close all programs.
- Launch the Self Service app via the Applications folder or Spotlight search.
- In the Featured section, you should see an entry to Upgrade to macOS 10.14 Mojave.
- Choose to Install and follow the instructions on-screen. If it is not already downloaded, your computer will spend a few minutes acquiring the installer, then proceed to prepare the installation before rebooting to perform the main work.
- In some cases, there may be another 10-15 minutes of installing to do after you log in again, before the computer is ready to use, so please plan accordingly.