Evaluate the client's current needs.
The purpose of this document is to help you make an informed decision based on your department’s needs and workflow while balancing the best use of college resources and the campus-wide sustainability initiative. Considering the following questions will assist in our consultation.
- What type of devices--printers, copiers, scanners, faxes—does the department currently have?
- Inquire how many people use the copier/printer on a regular basis?
- How many of those individuals are in the immediate area (same floor) as these devices?
- Do any individuals have local printers on their desks?
- Do you know your department’s monthly printing and/or copy volume?
- Does your department do high volume printing/copying on a regular basis? If so, do your devices have a large capacity (1500+ sheet) tray?
- Does your department require color capabilities? Printing, copying, scanning?
- Does your department have security issues printing to a central printer?
- Letter and legal paper sizes are standard. Does your department require the use of 11” x 17” paper? Does this size paper need to remain in printer at all times?
- Does your department require a tray for letter head?
- Does your department require a high volume envelope tray?
- Do/would your department members scan to email?
- What services, not covered above, does your department have or need? (for example: stapling, folding)
- Does your department use Central Services for large jobs?If not, why not?
You can remote into current printer to attempt to ascertain print volume as well