T&I is replacing Dropbox with Google Drive, as Davidson’s primary cloud storage and file sharing solution. We have already begun to migrate our early adopters’group. The second group and final phase is scheduled to begin in July, 2021. We will continue to provide updates as the project moves forward. Check out our Dropbox to Google Drive Migration Project article for the most up-to-date information.
One of the advantages of Dropbox is the ease with which you can share folders and files with your colleagues. This article addresses the process you should use when someone shares a Dropbox folder or file with you.
Add shared content to your Dropbox account
Dropbox content can be shared with you in one of two ways:
- The Dropbox folder or file can be shared with you directly via email, assuming you have an existing Dropbox account linked to an email address.
- The folder or file can be shared with you via a web link which does not require an existing Dropbox account.
Add a folder or file shared with you directly (not via a web link)
- When someone shares a folder or file directly with you via your email address (vs. a link), you will receive an email from Dropbox and a Dropbox notification. By clicking on the link in the email, or by accepting the notification in the Dropbox app, the shared folder or file will be added to your Dropbox account automatically.
Add a folder or file shared with you via a web link
- When someone sends you a link with which you can access a shared folder or file, you should start by clicking on the link.
- At this point, a web browser window will open on your screen.
If you do not have a Dropbox account, you can now navigate through the shared content online or you can download to your computer. Please be aware that the Search capability is not available if you do not have a Dropbox account.
- If you have a Dropbox account, click on the Download button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- From the resulting Download drop-down list box, select the Save to my Dropbox option.
- If you have a Dropbox account and are already signed in, you are finished and the shared content is now available for your review. If you are not yet signed in, you should click on the sign in link on the resulting dialog box. Once you are signed in, the shared content will now be available for your review.