Create a shared folder on a Mac computer
- Log in as an administrator on the Mac computer on which the shared folder will be created.
- Create the folder you'd like to share.
Avoid spaces and punctuation in the folder name. For example, SharedFolder is recommended while Shared Folder is not.
- In the Finder, right-click on the new folder and select Get Info in the resulting pop-up menu.
- On the Get Info dialog box:
- Click on the Shared folder check box.
- In the the lower right corner, click on the down arrow to open the Sharing & Permissions settings.
- In the lower right corner, click on the lock icon and enter your admin credentials to allow access to the Sharing & Permissions settings.
- Make the appropriate changes to confirm that the permissions are set properly to allow Read & Write access to the person or persons who will be saving to this folder.
- Close the Get Info dialog box.
- In the upper left corner of the macOS desktop, click on the Apple icon.
- In the Apple drop-down menu, select System Preferences...
- On the System Preferences dialog box, on the third row of applets, click on the Sharing icon.
- On the Sharing dialog box:
- In the Service pane, click on the File Sharing check box.
- Once file sharing is enabled, look carefully under the File Sharing: On message and note the network address of the shared computer. You will need this information when accessing this shared folder from another computer.
- Close the Sharing dialog box.
- Close the System Preferences dialog box.