Alternative text (Alt Text) is text that you can add to describe images to be read by a screenreader, increasing accessibility for people who are visually impaired. You can add Alt Text to charts, pictures, shapes, and tables. Here are the instructions for adding Alt Text to images and objects in a PowerPoint slide.
How to add Alternative Text to an image or object
- Open the PowerPoint application on your computer and insert an image or object.
- Right click on the image or object to which you would like to add Alt Text.
- Select Format Picture. A Format Picture window should appear on your screen.
- Select Alt Text on the list on the left side of the window.
- Under Alt Text, enter a description of the picture or object in the Description box.
- (Optional) You may enter a title for the image if you are providing the user with a long explanation. By providing a title, a user can determine whether or not they would like to read the explanation.