Setting up a discussion forum can lead to many different opportunities for you and your students. Below we outline how to setup a basic forum. If you have questions about other possible options for Forums, please do make an appointment and we can figure out the details.
- Launch Moodle (https://moodle.davidson.edu) and open your course.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, click on the "gear" icon and select Turn editing on.
- In the area of your course where you would like to add a file or folder, click on the Add an activity or Resource link.
- Enter a Forum Name and Choose a Forum Type (we recommend "Standard Forum for General Use).
- At the bottom of the page click Save and return to Course.
Your forum should now appear in the course area you chose. You and your students are now able to start new discussion topics and can reply to each other in the topics.
We recommend that you set up a test forum and get your students involved in posting/replying before setting up a "formal" forum. If you have never done forums in Moodle before, we also recommend that you get in touch with us and we can help guide you through some good practices and advice.