Zoom Rooms is a conferencing room system that provides an integrated experience for audio conferencing, wireless screen sharing, and video conferencing using dedicated hardware combined with Zoom software. Zoom Rooms can be used for room-only attendees, or remote attendees joining from another room, from their desktop, or from their mobile device.
Davidson College has several Zoom Room setups across campus within these departments:
- Technology & Innovation: Located in the Main and Jackson Buildings
- College Relations: Located in Blackwell, Glasgow, Hamilton and Smith Houses
- Business Services: Located in Jackson Court #2
Each of these setups provides the following:
- At least one (1) large display monitor
- A computer (Mac Mini) that is running the Zoom Room Program
- An iPad Zoom Room controller
- Video Teleconferencing (VTC) devices, including camera, speakers and microphones
Specific VTC setups are as follows:
Technology & Innovation
- Arches: PTZ Pro 2 camera, Nureva HDL300 speaker/mist-microphone technology soundbar
- Denali: Logitech Meetup all-in-one Video Conferencing device
- Glacier: Logitech Meetup all-in-one Video Conferencing device
- Yellowstone: Logitech Rally Plus Video Conferencing system
- Yosemite: Logitech Rally Plus Video Conferencing system
- Blackwell: Logitech Rally Bar Video Conferencing system
- Hamilton: Logitech Meetup all-in-one Video Conferencing device
- Glasgow: Logitech Meetup all-in-one Video Conferencing device
- Smith: Logitech Meetup all-in-one Video Conferencing device
- Jackson Court #2: Logitech Rally Camera, Nureva HDL300 speaker/mist-microphone technology soundbar
Pictured here are some examples of the rooms available for use:
Smith House and Jackson Court #2
T&I Jackson - Yosemite
T&I Main - Arches
T&I Main - Yellowstone
How to use the Zoom Room Controller (iPad)
Use the buttons on the left-side panel of the controller interface to access these functions:
Meet Now: View contacts, start an instant meeting.
- Only Davidson College contacts are shown in the room controller.
Meeting List: Start scheduled meetings as the host.
Presentation: Display on-screen instructions to start screen sharing.
Phone: Call a phone number using Zoom Phone.
Note: You do not have to dial 8 then 1 like you would on a Davidson College phone, you can simply dial the number of the person/place you are calling Also, this system will not accept the Davidson College extension numbers; you will have to dial the full 10 digit number.
Zoom Room use and Maintenance Tips
- The displays run tips and how-to instructions when not in use. You can turn off the displays to conserve them if you choose. If you encounter a room and it looks like the system is off, always check to make sure the displays are on.
- Do not turn off the computers (Mac Mini) that run the Zoom Rooms.
- The iPads are locked and can not be used in any manner other than as a Zoom Room iPad Controller.
- Do not disconnect the iPads from the network cable attached to them, this is their source of power.
- The cameras will automatically adjust to find the best position when the meeting starts, or anytime the attendees in the room change. You can make adjustments to the camera manually using the iPad controller when in a meeting.
Using Different Conferencing Options
In some instances users may need to use a program or option other than Zoom Rooms, for example, Microsoft Teams; Webex; FaceTime; or other conferencing tools. Most of these options allow you to join a scheduled conference call using a web browser, such as Google Chrome or Safari. Here are the steps to using a different conferencing option:
- Using the wireless keyboard and mouse provided in each room, exit the Zoom Rooms application by selecting Exit (not Sign Out) in the lower-left corner of the Zoom Room screen on the display (not the iPad).
- Once exited, you will be on the desktop of the Apple Mac Mini. In the dock at the bottom of the screen is an application called Launchpad. Move the mouse over the Launchad icon and click the mouse. Launchpad shows all of the available applications on the computer. Find your web browser of choice (Google Chrome, Safari) and click on it with the mouse.
- Once you have launched the web browser you should be able to follow the provided instructions given to you in your specific meeting invite as to how to join the meeting. Most will direct you to a specific URL that will then have you enter the meeting ID and/or passcode. You will be able to use the video conferencing camera, speaker and microphone that is installed in the room (the iPad controller will not control any meeting functions - camera movement, mute - that are capable in Zoom Rooms).
- Once you have finished with your meeting, please remember to exit the web browser application. On Apple computers, this means clicking on the name of the web browser application in the top left corner and selecting Quit[name of application] - closing the window of the web browser often times does not close the program. After closing the browser application, start the Zoom Rooms application by selecting it in the dock at the bottom of the desktop screen.
The Computers can be reset if you encounter an error within Zoom Rooms by using the wireless keyboard and mouse. You will exit the Zoom Rooms application by selecting Exit (not Sign Out) in the lower-left corner of the Zoom Room screen on the display (not the iPad). Once you have exited, move the mouse to the upper left corner and select the Apple Logo, then Restart... MAKE SURE YOU SELECT RESTART AND NOT SHUTDOWN. This will reboot the computer (please be patient) and then automatically restart the Zoom Room session. If a reboot does not fix your issue, please contact your House admin (for College Relations) or contact T&I at firstname.lastname@example.org