There are multiple avenues for resetting your Davidson College account password, depending on your specific scenario. This article will help to walk you through these processes, whether that be recovering your account if you've forgotten your password, or simply updating your password because it has expired.
Reset a Known Password
Password Reset From a College Computer
Note: It is highly recommended that faculty and staff with a college computer reset their password through these steps, rather than resetting on the web. Resetting your password through the web can have an adverse impact on your sign in to a college owned computer.
If working remotely; Connect to VPN
You must connect to VPN first if off-campus. If you are on-campus, you should not use VPN. If you've never used VPN before, please see see how to Set up and Connect to VPN on Your Computer.
Next, Follow the instructions for your device:
Log in with your current username and password.
- In the upper left corner, click on the Apple icon.
- In the drop-down menu, select System Preferences...
- In the System Preferences dialog box, click on the Users & Groups icon.
- Click on your name in the left frame.
- With your name highlighted in the left frame, click on the Change Password... button to the right.
- Follow the prompts to reset your password.
- Log in with your current username and password.
- Press the Ctrl, Alt and Del keys simultaneously. On Apple keyboards (a dual-boot iMac, for example), the keys will be labeled control, option and delete.
- Select Change a password and follow the prompts.
Password Reset from the Web
Note: It is highly recommended that faculty and staff with a college computer reset their password through that device, rather than resetting on the web. If the steps above do not work to reset your password from a college computer, please contact T&I prior to proceeding.
- Open a browser and navigate to changepassword.davidson.edu
- Enter your Davidson email address and current password.
- Select the "remember me" checkbox prior to sending a Duo push/passcode to limit future prompts.
- At the Change Password window, enter your current network password.
- Create a new password (minimum of 14 characters). There are no other requirements. Note:
- You cannot re-use passwords
- We recommend passphrases as they may be easier to remember
- Once you have successfully changed your password, you'll see your profile page. It's a good idea to choose the "sign out everywhere" option which will be prompt you to enter the new password the next time you log in.
- Close the profile page. You can expect prompts to authenticate with your new password when accessing applications, like Outlook email, Google Drive, Dropbox and other Davidson College resources.
Account Recovery for an Unknown/Forgotten Password
Many users on campus now have the capability to recover their account if they do not know their current password. The below information will walk you through the process.
How do I know if I can recover my account?
At this time, users who work with little-to-no sensitive information are able to recover their account. Generally speaking this includes:
- Current and graduated Students
- Staff who do not have Davidson college computers
Additionally, you will need to have provided the college with up-to-date contact information to verify your identity. You can update your contact information by following these steps: Update your secondary email address and cell phone number
If you’re unsure if you fall into these categories, give the steps below a try, and the system will tell you if your access is not enabled. In this case, you call need to contact the support center over the phone at 704-894-2900 any time from 8am-5pm Mon-Fri for help in resetting your password.
Recovering Your Account
- Head to forgotpassword.davidson.edu.
- Enter your full Davidson email address (including the @davidson.edu).
- Complete the Captcha. You can press the circular "refresh" arrow if needed for a different set of characters.
- Select an alternative contact method. All three function the same, so select the most convenient for you.
- Once you receive the verification code, enter it in the text box.
- * If you don't receive the verification code at the selected contact method, try one of the other options. If you don't have access to any of the available alternative contact methods, please contact T&I at 704-894-2900 during business hours for further assistance.
- Enter a new password.
- Your password must be a minimum of 14 characters.
- No special characters are required
- You cannot re-use passwords
Once your password has been changed, you'll receive a confirmation page on the web, and an email confirmation if your address is on file.