Turn Smart Compose on or off
- Open a file.
- At the top, click ToolsPreferences.
- To turn Smart Compose on or off, click Show Smart Compose suggestions.
- Click Ok.
Accept or reject a suggestion
To accept a Smart Compose suggestion:
- Press the tab key
- Press the right-arrow key
- For Android or iOS: Swipe right over the suggested text
Turn Smart Compose on or
- Open a document in Google Docs.
- In the top left, click Spell Check . A box will open in the top right corner.
- To use a suggestion, click Change.
- To ignore a suggestion, click Ignore.
- To accept or ignore all suggestions, click More Accept all or Ignore all.
Spelling and Grammar Suggestions
If you have spelling and grammar suggestions turned on, misspelled words are underlined in red, and grammar suggestions are underlined in blue. Learn how to turn suggestions on or off.
To quickly accept or ignore the corrections:
- Press Tab to accept the suggestion.
- Right-click the red or blue underline.
- To accept the suggestion, click the edited word.
- To ignore the suggestion, click Ignore.
- To report an incorrect suggestion, click Feedback on suggestion.
Autocorrect can automatically correct capitalization and spelling in Google Docs. It can also automatically detect links, lists, and quotes. You can turn autocorrect on or off, turn off specific substitutions, and turn suggestions on or off.
Autocorrect is available in:
If you’re using Google Docs in English, you may also see suggestions to change your word choice and style.
Turn off autocorrect
- Open a document or presentation in Google Docs.
- Click Tools Preferences General.
- To turn off certain autocorrects, like automatic capitalization, spelling corrections, or link detection, uncheck the box next to the function.
- Click OK.
Additional Assistive Writing Features
Google Docs as these additional features:
- Alternate wording
- Using active voice
- Making sentence structure more concise
- Use of more inclusive language
- Potential inappropriate words
These features offer a variety of stylistic and writing suggestions as you compose documents. Suggestions will appear as you type and help guide you when there are opportunities to avoid repeated or unnecessary words, helping diversify your writing and ensuring you’re using the most effective word for the situation.
You’ll see suggestions when there are opportunities to structure a sentence with an active voice or when a sentence can be more concise, helping to make your writing more impactful. Potentially discriminatory or inappropriate language will be flagged, along with suggestions on how to make your writing more inclusive and appropriate for your audience.